Vote Yer Music: Jo Jorgensen

A major focus of this blog has been music and today, we feature Jo Jorgensen, Libertarian Nominee for President.

Of the current crop of candidates for President, she is the only one I have seen speak in person, when she attended the Iowa Libertarian Party debate and convention.


I was impressed right away with Jorgensen who more than held her own with some of the most charismatic and outspoken speakers in the country like activist Adam Kokesh and comedian Mark Whitney.  (I shared my thoughts on Jorgensen at the time here and here.)

Although I do spend enough time on Twitter where the Libertarian voice can often muddle its own message, I am struck by a few things about the Jorgensen campaign.

One was that the Primary candidates all advised that they would  support whoever the nominee was. With a variety of candidates, many of them outspoken activists, coming to the party from various viewpoints, I had my doubts. Sure enough, these leaders have backed Jorgensen. Primary candidates like Kokesh, Sam Robb, Keenan Dunham and Dan Behrman (to name a few) are active supporters of the Jorgensen campaign.

The other thing I note is that I see passionate support for Jorgensen as an independent candidate that rivals most anything I‘ve seen in the last 20 years, refuting some of the closed world of Twitter, and most interesting, comes from both sides of the political spectrum.

Of course, Jorgensen does not get a great deal of media attention and campaigning in 2020 is difficult but Jorgensen is crossing the country. 


Indeed, probably the biggest news of the campaign has been when Dr Jorgensen got bitten by a bat.

Still, we have an incumbent who would tell you there’s no such thing as ‘bad publicity’.

I have a couple of friends who have been working for the Jorgensen campaign on the state level. They know I like to write about the musical and elements of the Presidential campaign, so they sent me a playlist of her campaign music as she crosses the country.

Some of the songs can sum up a revolution for the ballot box.

Alicia Keyes- Girl On Fire

Muse- Uprising

The Doors- Break On Through

Tracy Chapman- Give Me One Reason

Supertramp- Logical Song

George Harrison- What is Life

Then again, maybe, that's just me reading too much into it.  As the playlist continues, it seems to be music that would pump the crowd- Wham, Kiss, Earth Wind and Fire, Simple Minds, Darius Rucker, and Chicago.

As for my interpretation, while it is standard political rally fare, at the same time, there's not a song on here that I would skip if I had it on a playlist.

Jorgensen has polled at 2% and 3% in  many recent National polls and is one of only of four candidates that are on enough ballots to win the Electoral College. While state polls tend to only ask Trump/Biden/Other, on polls that a he was listed in -she has does well - For example recent polls in Georgia, at 4%, in Minnesota at 3.7%, and Utah at 3%. 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#VoteYerMusic: Robert Ardini

Spring 2023: GOP Iowa Caucus Winners and Losers

Caucus Byte: Hey Candidates, Free Advice