#VoteYerMusic- Max Abramson

I do a thing here that I came up with many years ago, and I call it "voteyermusic". You can read about it more in some earlier posts, but the main gist is that I ask Presidential candidates what music they like.

The answer isn't important. It's the question, and there are two reasons why. 


First, it is about how accessible the candidate is, and if they really care about the public they will be serving. Over time, I have noticed that division between candidate and public has widened. Go to Cory Booker's site and see if you can even find a way to get that question to him. You can't; and it's the easiest question a candidate will ever be able to answer.


The other is that music is a great uniter. Some of my best, longest lasting friendships started with conversations about music. If you know me, you just know that is how I am.


In fact, I had ten minutes one-on-one this summer with a (now former) Democratic candidate here in Iowa. I knew his policy plans. I could have tried to sway his opinion (unlikely), but I also knew we had similar musical tastes.  So I spent the time talking about just that. Agree or disagree with what I did with my allotted  time; well, that is just who I am.


Today's feature will be on New Hampshire State Representative Max Abramson, who is running for the Libertarian Presidential nomination.


At this date, Abramson is the only elected official running for the Libertarian nomination. 


It is worth noting that he was elected to New Hampshire House District 20 in 2014, and was re-elected to that position in 2018. He ran for Governor as a Libertarian in 2016 and got 4.3% of the vote. This is a rather impressive number as you compare it to other Libertarian candidacies (For example, in Rupert Boneham (from Survivor)'s high profile run in Indiana in 2012,Rupert received 3.95% of the vote).


Abramson has a strong social media presence and I like what he does to promote the Libertarian party, and supporting Libertarians at the local level. One thing I thought was a good idea was using the Democrat Debate to give the Libertarian candidates a chance to respond; which is something he did, and can be seen on YouTube and also features Dan Behrman, Arvin Vohra, and Ben Leder.


It is hard to track Libertarian polling since a major national poll has not been done in awhile. The best recent Libertarian polling I have seen is by The Torch of Liberty.  Of course, it is important to take online polling with a grain of salt, but ToL's polling, along with all the ones I have seen circulating (either through opavote or surveymonkey),  Abramson is  consistently in the top tier of candidates.


In the ToL poll, Abramson did well in his home state, but also in states as varied as California, Missouri, and Alabama.  The ToL poll is interesting too since it shows Abramson does well with those who might otherwise vote Democrat.


While Abramson has been a member of the Republican party, and wouldn't be confused with a Liberal; his issues certainly might appeal to what used to be the old school Chomsky Libertarian- no more foreign wars, making college affordable, common sense drug policy, and support labeling of Genetically Modified Foods. With that, his voting record is clearly Libertarian and is in line with the issues that Republicans can support around school choice, taxation, and limiting government.


One of Abramson's accomplishments is Jessie's Law.  While most politicians like to focus on the criminal aspects of the Drug War, Jessie's Law is about prevention and treatment.


On a personal level, when I reached out to him about this blog, he was very supportive, and encouraging me to expand the Iowa Caucus Guy to a video channel or podcast.  I will definitely have to consider that.


Anyway, I have given you enough of what I have to say about him.  Let's get his words.   I asked him to give me a little snippet to tell people about his campaign.



I've introduced House Resolutions to:
-bring the troops home from the Middle East
-end federal marijuana prohibition
and already passed legislation to:
-ask Congress and the VA to investigate the causes of veteran suicides
-get Congress to ease federal regulations that have been killing our fishing fleet
-provide funds for dredging of Hampton and Rye Harbor

Pretty awesome stuff, and some things that I didn't know about. To me, his campaign is interesting because he has shown that he can win votes, and he has the kind of platform that should pull people in who might be disenchanted with either of the two big Parties.

Now, for the big question.  What is your music of choice?



Alternative, blues rock, and movie soundtracks.  My favorite bands range from STP to Theory Of A Dead Man, Velvet Revolver, Tool, Alice In Chains, Four Non Blondes

Max likes to rock, and he definitely sounds like someone I would have hung out with.

I appreciate him taking the time to answer our question, and for his support of the blog.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#VoteYerMusic: Robert Ardini

Spring 2023: GOP Iowa Caucus Winners and Losers

So You Wanna Be a Rock N Roll Star (Part 1)