A friend of the blog goes to see Andrew Yang

As the days to the Iowa Caucus wind down, I have been efforting online and IRL friends to share campaign stories.  I hope to get as many as I can here.

This blog isn't made to be taken too seriously, but the truth is just the fact that I am in Iowa puts me at a certain advantage to tell stories you might not hear.  Although I only was able to take in a handful of candidate events this cycle, I do know at least one person who attended every (or at least dang close) major Iowa election event this cycle.  These insights are spread throughout my 50+ posts.

I noticed that my friend Bob had just went to an Andrew Yang event, and so I asked him if I could share his thoughts.

I like Yang and unfortunately, did not get a chance to see him.  He is popular with the younger Democrats I know, and I get it.  He brings a certain buzz that was missing in this election.  He talks to tech topics that others aren't.  Also, his UBI (Universal Basic Income) plan may be an easier sell than some of his opponents plans.  Free college?  Free health care?  Look, let me give you some money and you decide what to do with it.  I know Yang's not everyone's cup of tea, but I do see the appeal.

Yang was just on a tour of Southeast Iowa filling rooms.  Local press said him and his wife were well recieved, even reporting that he got some down time and went bowling (and cussing at gutterballs)

Anyway, my friends leans Right just as much as I lean Left, which means he isn't really Yang's target audience; but he does love this stuff as much as I do, so I really value his insight.



One thing he likes about Yang is that he is an outsider, and not a career politician.  The idea of an outsider is what makes candidates like Donald Trump appealing to people of all persuasions.  Bob shared with me that he had heard an interview with Yang, where he said his cabinet would be a mix of Washington insiders as well as new individuals, as Yang realizes he will need to get things done. and using only outsiders might not be enough to help him accomplish what he wants to do.

Of course, how do you fund the UBI?

Yang implied a couple different ideas to do so.

1) He talked about Big Data, and how companies are selling Consumer’s data and reselling it over and over. He referenced a recent study that said US citizens biggest assets now is our data - even more than oil. - And we don’t get paid for it. He suggested big corporations should pay for our data.

 2) He shared that Amazon did $20Billion last year in sales and paid $0 in tax. He would like to see that change because he feels that Amazon is crushing one of the biggest employers for women under the age of 39 (Retail).

Bob said Yang didn't go into too much detail.  It was a Meet and Greet after all, but Yang does have a book out and there is probably more detail there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#VoteYerMusic: Robert Ardini

Spring 2023: GOP Iowa Caucus Winners and Losers

So You Wanna Be a Rock N Roll Star (Part 1)