Miscellaneous Debris: The Fifth Democratic Debate

Not that I necessarily planned on it, but I have watched most of the Democrat debates, and it feels natural to share my insights here.

 I did watch this weekend's Saturday Night Live, and to be honest, I think they nailed it.

I grew up on SNL, so am really enjoying what I feel is them hitting their stride again. The SNL I grew up with was the rebounding of the 90s with Hartman, Carvey, Lovitz, Dunn, Jackson, Nealon, Miller, and Hooks; but it was also a time where cable started to run the classic first Not Ready for Prime Time Players as well.

Anyway, if you have 12 minutes, go ahead and watch. I will wait.

 

So for me-

  •  I assume everyone has their minds made up about Warren and Sanders, right? 
  • Biden can't make it a night without a gaffe. He answered a question about Domestic Violence by saying you got to "keep punching" . He also said he had the support of the "Only Black Female Senator" which ignored the fact that Kamala Harris was onstage. 
  • Amy Klobuchar's twitching hair unfortunately overshadowed everything. That ruled twitter, to the point that I am surprised no one advised her of that. Despite that, she otherwise had a great debate performance. We left this week knowing that Amy had once raised $17,000 from ex boyfriends
  • Mike Bloomberg wasn't on the stage, but his presence was felt. Bloomberg is going to try to jump in by ignoring the early contests and join Super Tuesday. It sounds like the unlikeliest of strategies to work. 
  • Tom Steyer was on the stage, but the camera does not seem to like him. The SNL skit may come to define him. 
  • Tulsi Gabbard was on attack mode, aiming at recent front runner Buttigieg, providing probably the most tense moment of this debate.  After watching the Republicans decide they are no longer a 'big tent' party, it is interesting to see the Democrats do the same.  
  • Cory Booker continued to impress me, though his numbers just aren't moving. A friend of mine remarked that the close-up shots of Booker (who was on the end, with the animated stars and blue background) made it look like he was on a boat.

  • I don't think Kamala Harris did anything to help her numbers, and the polling I saw reflected that, with a rather flat response

  •  I still like Steve Bullock and Michael Bennet alot .  It is a shame that they have not been mainstays on these debate stages and stay relatively unknown.

Anyways, that's what I got.  We are taking off the Thanksgiving Holiday, but have plenty of stuff planned.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#VoteYerMusic: Robert Ardini

Spring 2023: GOP Iowa Caucus Winners and Losers

Caucus Byte: Hey Candidates, Free Advice