O Beautiful for Spacious Skies (and I meet Beto- EXCLUSIVE!)

One of the traditions around July 4 in Iowa is going to see the Iowa Cubs.


I love baseball as much as Presidential politics, so I will try to keep on topic as much as I can, but seeing the Iowa Cubs in recent years means seeing a bunch of future Cubs stars (Rizzo, Bryant, Almora, Baez, Contreras) and various out of towners (Pete Alonso, Joey Gallo, Steven Piscotty) up close and personal.

Not to mention some great fireworks.

But there is also a Caucus component. In 2007, Barack Obama and Bill Richardson attended the July homestand. Indeed, this year was no different as Joe Biden and Beto O’Rourke attended the July 4 event.

Another reason that they made this particular game (with the fireworks and numerous Iowa-brewed beers available) is it is the day that Iowa swears in the new naturalized citizens. This year, 30 new Americans from 14 countries were sworn in.

Senior Iowa District Court Judge Robert Pratt does the swearing-in, as he has for several years now.


Photo credit to IowaStartingLine.com


Pratt’s speech may be the most stirring words I have ever heard anyone give (which is saying something as I have seen speeches from Presidents, Governors and Senators).

I tried to find a transcript or video and was not able to, but fortunately someone captured it from previous years. This year, instead of quoting Baseball’s ABG (former commissioner A Bartlett Giamatti), he quoted crowd favorite RBG (Judge Ruth Bader Ginsberg). The mere mention of RBG got cheers from the crowd, while the video of 45 got a mixed reaction.

In any case, we should listen to Judge Pratt’s words from that very important and most patriotic of days.

Ladies and gentlemen, it is my privilege to be the first to congratulate you on your new citizenship. A little later this morning I will again congratulate each of you personally when I present you your certificate of citizenship, and I certainly look forward to that.

I realize that for many of you a difficult part of the oath of allegiance you just took is the part where you renounced allegiance to any foreign state or sovereignty. I wish to remind you that what you solemnly renounced in that oath is allegiance to the government of another land. You did not renounce, nor should you ever renounce, the devotion you carry in your heart for the people of your native land. Preserve that always.

And for the benefit of your children and your grandchildren, as well as your own benefit, I suggest that you master the English language-- learn it well--but also preserve your native language and heritage and culture. Doing so enriches not only the lives of those in your family--doing so also enriches America and all of us living here. For over 200 years this country has been blessed with a constant infusion of new people from all over the world who brought their languages, their heritages and their cultural values with them. Today it is you who so bless us.

Now I wish to speak about you as United States citizens, which you now are.

You may hear voices in this land say that there is only one true American religion. Do not believe it. As an American you may freely and openly be a Christian, a Jew, a Hindu, a Bhuddist, a Muslim, or you may adhere to any other religion, or you may be an agnostic or an atheist.

You may hear voices in this land say that there is only one true American way to think and believe about political matters, economic matters, and social matters. Do not believe it. As an American you may freely and openly adhere to political, economic and social views on the right, on the left, or anywhere in between. You may hear voices in this land say that there is only one true American set of values. Do not believe it. As an American you may openly hold beliefs and values greatly different from those of others--even if those of others are shared by many and yours are shared by few.

Simply stated, there is no single American way to think or believe. Indeed, conformity of thought and belief would be contrary to the underlying principles of this great nation.


Vice President Biden and Rep. O’Rourke welcomes the new citizens but we’re not immediately noticeable (despite presence of security on the field).

It was exciting to me then when after four quiet innings, Beto made it to the big screen, and there he was, in the crowds- indeed, maybe 20 feet away.

I am overeager to criticize VP Biden, who I had no doubt that would not be standing in the concession line. That may be unfair as it was later apparent in the news that he did make it to the stands to greet Beto.

From that point forward, Beto had a parade of visitors. I was impressed with the patience that he took to meet and greet each interested party and pose for pics afterwards.

I couldn’t resist so I made my way over to Beto near the end of the game. No doubt, this was a calculated move by Beto as eager staffers greeted everyone and were armed with clipboards to gather info.

That said, Beto couldn’t have been more gracious or patient upon meeting him. He already was completing an hour of meeting Iowans.


no title

Beto had an Iowa Cubs Baseball cap which is what he does. That Iowa is a Cubs/Cardinals battleground state did not figure into that decision. (I wouldn’t have otherwise commented, but a dear friend who is a diehard Redbirds fan mentioned that Beto lost his vote!)

We shared niceties. O’Rourke, all politics aside, is genuinely interested in getting to know his constituents. He was very appreciative of everything Iowans had offered him, and his staffer noted, he feels the path to the White House starts with spending as much time in Iowa as he possibly could.

I was taken by his earnestness and was immediately impressed. Still, if anyone knows me, they know I have a blog to write and my own agenda. In this particular case it was to talk to Beto about The Only Band That Matters, The Clash. The Clash are among my favorite bands, but famously, Beto has used The Clash in his run against Ted Cruz, and has referenced them repeatedly as he runs for President.

I thought sure Beto would not expect this transition in conversation. He parried quickly though asking me for my favorite band album. A smile to both of our faces. I answered honestly “Well, it’s London Calling obviously, but I find myself going back to Combat Rock these days.”

Beto smiles and says something to the effect of “Sandinista (the Clash’s triple album) has some great forgotten songs, too”.

This clearly made my night. There are obviously bigger things than music, but it is a common voice. Whether you are John Hickenlooper or Bill DeBlasio or if you are Mike Huckabee or John Kasich- there is something we can bond over. That I got a chance to talk to a Presidential candidate about the Clash was obviously something that would have blown teenage me’s mind

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#VoteYerMusic: Robert Ardini

Spring 2023: GOP Iowa Caucus Winners and Losers

So You Wanna Be a Rock N Roll Star (Part 1)