#VoteYerMusic: Ken Armstrong

For so many years, I have been interested in the people who run for President.

The News Media inevitably love these stories as well.  You get the same articles every four years, and they will write about Jeff Boss and Jonathan Sharkey, and maybe if you wear a yellow hat, they will put you in their article too.


Now over a decade ago, I started reaching out to some of the lesser known Presidential candidates via email, and what I found was that these were men and women with great ideas who love their country.


It makes you question why we do what we do, meaning, why is someone a candidate only if the media says so.  For example, why are Andrew Yang, Marianne Williamson and Wayne Messam (and for that matter, Pete Buttigieg) consider a media-worthy candidate, but Robbie Wells, Richard Ojeda and Rosalind Greene aren't?  


Why were John Cox and Michael Charles Smith not considered media-worthy candidates for the 2008 Republican primary?  Because a businessman with no previous elected experience can't win the Republican nomination?


I am writing this during a week when the Democrats have pared their debate to 10 people, and I feel especially sensitive.  The Democratic debate will suffer from the exclusion of voices like Gabbard, Williamson, Steyer, Sestak and Bullock.  The Dems need as many voices as they can, and I personally think Yang and Williamson are the voices of the future of the Party. 


Anyway, you know I lean left, but I am also very interested in the Libertarian Party.  Libertarians have been some of the biggest supporters of my blog, and to be honest, I find a lot of the Libertarian candidates very compelling.  


I see alot of very professional, very engaged, very open, very principled and very smart men and women.


It is exciting to watch the Libertarians, since they have gained so much popularity with two Presidential runs by Gary Johnson, but also given its time to move on, it is exciting to see the next chapter.  Transitioning from  the Marrou and Paul years to Barr, then Johnson, and now, what is to come.


A name that has popped up lately and excites me is Ken Armstrong.  Ken's running as a Libertarian, and he has even already campaigned everywhere (Iowa, North Dakota, Oregon, Maine, Virginia, New York, and so on).  He has an interesting background and approach to his campaign.  Bismarck TV station KXMA reported in June that Armstrong has chosen to live out of his car for the opportunity to dedicate all of his time to running his campaign and talking to as many Americans as possible.


Armstrong's website tells a story of an interesting career of 40 plus years, starting with working on the Alaskan Pipeline as a teenager, then enlisting in the Coast Guard;  but then working his way into leadership positions in the Coast Guard, NATO,  and Habitat for Humanity.  Not to mention, his career has brought him into work with the White House, the CIA, the FBI, the Consul General in Palermo, and the Surgeon General,


He jokes (with reason) that he has more experience in diplomatic relations, national defense and federal government than any President of the 40 years with the exception of one.  (George HW Bush, of course, was the Director of the CIA, ambassador to the UN. and liaison to China, among other posts).







Needless to say, Ken is a fascinating guy, and his candidacy is picking up momentum as he is being added to the Libertarian debates.  Check his website out.  His views should appeal to most Americans- he's worried about us being governed by Executive Orders.  He is concerned about the trillion dollar debt.  He wants to see Respect and Civility in the highest offices.


Everyone should read what he has to say about his Priority Issues.  


Everyone should also read what he has to say about Libertarianism- an answer that should resonate with LP members but also, be taken seriously by those who might have stereotype reactions to the word.


Of course, on a lighter note, I have taken it upon myself to contact as many Presidential campaigns and ask my favorite question "What Music do you listen to?" 


You know my philosophy on the question.  It is not that difficult of a question, but will they answer; and if they don't answer, then what does that say.  If what I read in the paper this week is true, the President is the kind of person that might be sitting across the negotiating table from Terrorist leaders.  You shouldn't be scared of my question.


There are quite a large number of Libertarians running for President, and I will let you know that I have contacted many, if not most of them.  In case you missed it, I did post a response from Dan Taxation is Theft Behrman, another favorite of mine.  


I was so excited to get a response from Ken, because I do like his candidacy and what he represents.


I will share his response below.  As always, everything from above to this point is my interpretation and opinion.  I do not hope to misrepresent Mr. Armstrong in any way. 


The short answer is that I like all of the music you like, and most that you don’t.

I’m not particularly into headbanging stuff or music that lacks melody, but I love classic rock, symphony, bluegrass, Motown, cool jazz, and a lot more both new and old.

Dawn bought me a banjo a few years ago that I will someday learn to play. I have played trombone (years ago, though I still have one), play harmonica like a true amateur, and once directed the U.S. Coast Guard Training Center Band at Petaluma, California.

What else would I like people to know about my campaign? … hmmm ... I’m serious. I believe deeply in the principles we talk about as Libertarians, and I’m putting my entire life on hold to do this thing. And I’m not delusional, but as remote as the chances may be, I believe there is a chance of winning this thing.

I’m a history geek and a policy wonk, and I believe those things matter, but I also try to make the conversation relevant to the people I’m talking with, and not just get caught up in process. I’m a huge believer in compassion. Also, I’m not campaigning against any other Libertarians. I believe we will put ourselves out there and let the delegates pick the best candidate. But again, I wouldn’t be wasting my time, if I didn’t think I was that guy. In the meantime, I’m going to enjoy meeting the other candidates and learning from them.


He signed it Liberty and with his name.I love his answer, and I love that he (and his peers) really support each other.  There is Reagan's famous 11th commandment, and there's a "Vote Blue No Matter What" movement in 2020, but I really am in awe and inspired by how the Libertarian candidates are able to unite.I appreciate Mr. Armstrong's time, and as always, you can certainly vote for whoever you want, and I know I can only do so once myself, as well; but I do to try to do my small part to get as many voices heard as I can.


Okay, back to business as usual next week.  Probably a post on Dem Debate 3 and maybe something about some of the interesting stuff from the Trail that I haven't yet gotten around to.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#VoteYerMusic: Robert Ardini

So You Wanna Be a Rock N Roll Star (Part 1)

Spring 2023: GOP Iowa Caucus Winners and Losers